Wednesday, May 22, 2002

The Potter's Wheel

This story, from Jeremiah 18, has been rattling around in my head. (lest anyone think I falsely pretend to be a scriptural scholar, these stories and psalms all originate in my leisure reading or visits to places like Sacred Space. I share them because they resonate, not because I know very much about the Bible.)

1 The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying: 2"Arise and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause you to hear My words." 3Then I went down to the potter's house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. 4And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make.

5Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 6"O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?" says the LORD. "Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel!"


The Holy Spirit is working each of us, every day. I am poor clay, to be sure, but "Grace makes beauty out of ugly things."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home