Thursday, August 15, 2002

There's an interesting argument going on in the comments at Mark Shea's blog. Rod Dreher of NRO wrote "My friends and I sat around feeling even more bilious than usual toward the bishops because we take the faith seriously enough to make real sacrifices to serve Christ, and most of them don't give evidence of taking it seriously at all -- or at least not seriously enough to risk "scandal" to save Catholic children and families from pederast priests. I keep trying to find a way around the grave insult to the Catholics of Boston that the Vatican is delivering to them by keeping Bernard Law as their archbishop (and Mahony in L.A., and...), but I can't."

Here's my response:

Rod,

I hear you, and I'm sympathetic, but you sound like the older brother in the Prodigal Son story, or the vineyard laborers who started early in the day, looking at the bishops showing up with only an hour to go.

I don't mean to be uncharitable (I truly don't) but what possible difference does it make to you that some bishops behave badly while you and the friends you spoke of behave well?

I ask because I feel the same way most of the time. And I can only conclude that I am being prideful, and haughty in my own way. I measure them against myself and find them wanting, and that is a terrible, terrible thing I do. Cardinal Law is my Archbishop, and every Sunday I pray "for Bernard, our bishop" and then I pray for myself, for adding "he sure needs it."

If we are being insulted here in Boston, then we must bear that as we bear all insults, with humility and forgiveness. I believe that to be true because those are just about the only things I want more than anything NOT to be true.

Be faithful. Be happy. Be patient. And be trusting in God. Don't worry about the wages paid to others: are you getting a fair wage for the labor you put in?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home