Tuesday, December 03, 2002

Confession Rant, part the second

Last week I vented about my Archdiocese's apparent lack of interest in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Who knew that I would find the solution to my problem where all American problems get solved: the Mall! Yes, that's right, ladies and gentlemen. I went to worship Mammon on Friday and found God instead (actually, I went to get new tires at Sears, but that isn't much of a rhetorical flourish, is it?). With apologies to my Dominican friend Tom, I note that the Carmelites have reversed the Gospel story, and set up a temple amidst the money changers.

Can you believe this schedule?

Masses: Mon-Fri, 8:30, Noon, & 3:00pm. Sat, 8:30am, Noon, 4:00pm and 5:30pm. Holy Days, Vigil 4:00pm, Day, 4:00pm and 5:30pm.

Confession: Mon-Fri one half hour before every Mass. Sat, 8:00-8:30am, 10:45-11:45am, 2:45-3:45pm, and by appointment.

Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament: Mon-Fri, 9:00am - 7:30pm. Sat. 9:00am-Noon.

Solemn Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament: Wed., 7:45pm.

Would that a few parishes around here had such a schedule. Although perhaps we should acknowledge the reality of the situation and rename the North Shore Mall "Our Lady of Good Bargains" and declare it the largest parish in the Eastern US. In any case, though the Mall is no longer especially conveient to where I live, I can make my way there when 3:00-3:45 Saturday is taken over with family obligations. (Since they pay their rent with donations and purchases in the gift shop, I encourage my Boston-area readers to visit and drop a few bucks.)

[By the way. I solved my own problem--having missed the Chapel confessions by about an hour--by ducking out of holiday leftovers at the in-laws for a little while on Saturday. I was most amazed--amazed!--when I arrived 20 minutes early to find Father Confessor sitting at the altar himself preparing quietly to hear the confessions. A far cry from the last place I went, where the priest came rushing in 20 minutes late and gave me the most absurdly light penance I've ever had. St. Bernard's was the most encouraging experience I have had with the Sacrament since I rediscovered it a year ago. But the rediscovery is another story, and I'm running out of tangent space here.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home