Tuesday, December 10, 2002

I don't know why this should be, though I have some theories I'm not planning on sharing. But I have noticed that almost all the people I know who are rigorous, follow-the-law-to-the-tiniest-letter-even-in-a-footnote Catholics are "reverts." A few are outright converts, but most are Catholics who fell away from Catholicism, spent a good deal of time in another Christian denomination, and had a struggle to find their way "home to Rome" (as my college chaplain put it.)

This is commendable. And I admire you for it. But it is not the way I understand the Church. And badgering me about it is rather more likely to make me to think you and the Church a collection of Pharisees than a group which can teach me very much about God and my broken nature. It is a perfectly valid approach to God--indeed, I will even go so far as to say it is the best approach to God. But it is not the only one. Your prayers are sometimes more welcome than your speeches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home