Thursday, May 22, 2003

Final Point on moral idiocy

Some will no doubt at this point begin to tsk tsk at me, and sadly remind me to “let the one without sin cast the first stone.” Frankly, I find this an erroneous position, and the abuse of the story of the adulterous woman to be one of the most significant factors in the creation of the namby-pamby, “tolerant” Christian. When Jesus interrupted the Pharisees, he was not stopping the men from smiting the woman with a really good metaphor. The Pharisees had real stones in their hands, and the woman would have been bleeding and dying a horrific death within a very short time. And Jesus did not affirm her in her okayness at the end of it. He clearly identified her error when he told her to “go and sin no more.”

Jesus and his disciples often used invective when it was the appropriate tool. With much less a claim to holiness than any of those people, I am sparing in when I use it. But I believe it to be a legitimate tool, especially when the objects of it have demonstrated that charity is taken for weakness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home